July 29, 2014

The Trouble with Kindle Fire

Something like five posts ago, and more than a year and a half ago, I said I would get both me and my (now) nine year old son a Google Nexus 7 tablet.
Well I did. About eight moths ago. While no one and no thing in this world is perfect, I am rather pleased with it and so is my son.
Thing is, I made this decision after I already owned the (original) kindle fire tablet. Actually it was an OK tablet (I gave it to my mom a while ago), as far as reading books on kindle is concerned. It even worked sort of OK as a web browser, except Hebrew websites sometimes got partly written backwards. Arabic websites were plain terrible (I do try reading them from time to time), which is odd because you figure if Hebrew works (mostly) OK, so should Arabic  ...but no.
What was absolutely ludicrous were the apps. Turns out I could not install any apps, even free ones, unless I had a credit card with a valid US address. As far as I can tell this is still the case.
Lucky for me there were these two days when I could, so I did install some free apps...
My niece thanks me to this very day...
So if you plan on using a kindle fire outside the US for any prolonged period of time, consider some other tablet...




No comments:

Post a Comment